Well, if this baby is a girl we are in for a world of hurt!
It all started with a scouting trip out into the world of maternity wear (I wasn't planning on buying, just checking out what's available). Turns out that world is more like a small town... I mean one of those 100 resident small towns that doesn't even have a gas station. There is not a lot of selection out there. So, I moved on to much more fun scouting - baby gear scouting!
I started with swings and bouncers and high chairs, etc. That was a little overwhelming! ...so I moved on to something much more fun. CLOTHES! Oh, the little boy clothes were so cute - all 5 outfits! What is that!?! There is so little boys selection vs. girls selection. NOT that I'm complaining (yet)- the girls stuff is so freaking adorable! Everywhere I turned there was something that I left me thinking "oh hell yeah I'd put that on my baby girl!" and "hmmm, what size would she need for next summer..." LOL! I don't even know if it's a boy or a girl yet, but I'm already plotting a baby girls summer wardrobe! Of course I've been having visions of a little boys nursery, so either way I'm ready to get started on something!
We had our second baby appointment last Friday. Thank God I have so many friends with babies - they all warned me that the 12 week appointment can be hard to hear the heartbeat on the doppler - so not to worry if they couldn't find it. I'm glad I had that warning! Dr. Curry had a student this month, Starla, and she performed the majority of the appointment. She couldn't find the heart beat (she even warned us that she sometimes has trouble) so she called in Dr. Curry. He couldn't find it either so he said we'd get to have another ultrasound. So, wrapping my lovely hospital gown around me we tip toed to the ultrasound room to see our little one again. Doctor didn't even have to look very hard - baby and a healthy heart beat showed up immediately on the screen. The heart rate was 161 bpm - good and strong. The student took over for a while and took some pictures and let us just watch our little one for a little bit. Active little bugger! Baby had it's arms up over it's head - and then would bring them down to it's mouth. They showed us the baby's face... not as cute as you would hope at this point - on an ultrasound it looks a bit more like an alien... or skeletor. But I love it anyway! ...besides - it should grow out of all of that! It was rolling around and just on the go in general. The student mentioned that the placenta may be near the outside of my belly - which may be why we couldn't hear the heart beat. I didn't ask her any more about it, so I don't even know if that's exactly what I heard! I was too enamoured with watching that little baby move - seeing little fingers and seeing how active it was! It was amazing - even more so than the first ultrasound!
Dr. Curry said it was too early to tell the sex of the baby but said they'd order an ultrasound around 18 weeks to check measurements and they'd possibly be able to tell then. That's 5 more weeks... seems like forever!
Tomorrow I'll be a full 13 weeks. Baby has tiny fingerprints now. The body is starting to catch up in size to the head - which is still 1/3 of the body size. Baby is slmost 3" long and weighs nearly a full ounce - almost the size of a peach (from crown to bottom). Hopefully the last remnants of morning sickness are going to find their way out the door in the next week or two - hopefully it takes my aversion to tomato products with it and we can have spaghetti, BBQ and pizza again! I'm not showing, but I have a feeling that I'll need new clothes very soon. Things are just looking like their comfort factor will drop quickly in the next week or two. I'd better find a promising store or online retailer soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment