Well, the pressure finally mounted to the point that I couldn't take it any more. I had to break the news at work. I pulled my boss Carol into her boss Tom's office and closed the door. Tom's reaction could not have taken me more by surprise. Don't get me wrong - I expected him to be happy - he's a family man, but the whooping and hollering and jumping around in celebration absolutely floored me! Carol was pleased as punch also. I got more support and encouragement from Tom than I would have ever imagined. He was thrilled. I let them know that I'm due in the busiest part of our busy season, and Tom didn't even blink an eye - just said it would all be fine and not to even worry about it. He told me that I could tell George (our VP) if I wanted or he'd tell him. It was the end of the day, so I didn't bother George just yet. I let the guys in my group know (as they were surely suspicious of my closed door meeting) and shortly there after called it a day.
The next morning I'm working away and George came out and asked me what's new. Knowing even a little about George I knew that meant that he knew, so I responded "I don't know George, what have you heard!?" He laughed and said he may have heard something and came around and gave me a big hug and congratulations. Being out in the middle of cube-world this brought some inquiries and before I knew it the whole office knew the news. There were only a couple of mentions of the inconvenience of my due date (which I was expecting).
It feels good to have everything out in the open. No secrets, no whispers. It's all out there. Tom admitted that he'd heard something or another that led him to expect the news soon - but he wasn't sure if it was true or not, so he didn't want to jump to any conclusions.
It was a helluva way to come back to the office after a little vacation. My trip with Erin & Aubrey couldn't have been better. We all learned a bit about altitude (it always leaves something to learn the next time). I may have felt Baby M kick for the first time. I know it's really early, so I was highly suspicious, but it was during my flight to Denver, on the decent, and it was unlike anything I'd ever felt before - like 2 bubbles right in the front of my tummy. I couldn't be sure - because I was only just over 11 weeks, but it didn't feel like anything I'd experienced before. I walked through the Denver airport with the most ridiculous grin on my face. I wish Brian had been with me, but it was nothing he'd have ever felt, so he'd have probably been disappointed in the moment.
Erin, Aubrey and I had a great weekend and I learned more about pregnancy, babies, and motherhood than I'm sure I'll ever be able to remember from them in our short time together! I'm glad I have so many resources during this time in my life. All of my friends have an element of expertise to offer. I'll have them all on speed dial come November!
Tomorrow I'll be 12 weeks. The baby will be the size of a plum and his or her facial features are becoming more defined. There are now well formed fingernails on the perfect little fingers - those fingers will soon start opening and closing in little fists. I'm still feeling better than I was, and only occasionally have full blown nausea, although I still have to make sure I've got snacks regularly to keep the queasiness away. I don't have any sign of a bump yet... just the same ol' belly I've always had - only I can't suck it in anymore! I have my second baby appointment on Friday, and on top of my list of questions is when will we find out if it's a boy or a girl!! I'm expecting mid July, but we'll see what he says. I can't wait until we hear that little heartbeat again. When we've got the thumbs-up from Doc & his magic doppler we'll make it public knowledge on facebook - but most people already know!
No comments:
Post a Comment