To explain that title a bit - when you are trying to get pregnant your life is measured by 2 week waits. Two weeks until I ovulate, 2 weeks until I can test, 2 weeks until I ovulate, 2 weeks until I can test. It's a seemingly endless cycle of 2 week waits. I know - it's nearly been 2 weeks since I blogged...again. But this time I had just reason. We had a doctors appointment today and I wanted to be able to update the blog on everything that went down!
We had another new student (there's a new one every month, so we better get used to it). She was very nice and overly gentle. She had to confirm with us a couple of times that we were not going to do the genetic testing. Brian and I had talked it over and decided that the tests are not accurate enough (90% of all positive results are false positives - that's a lot more unnecessary stress than we need). In addition to this, we aren't willing to terminate this pregnancy in the case of a genetic disorder, which is really the only option it gives you. If there is something wrong there is very little (possibly nothing) that doctors can do until after the baby is born, and since termination isn't an option for us we'd rather go through a happy healthy pregnancy. We decided that for us, in this case, ignorance is bliss. Also, we are blessed to be able to take care of a child with special needs if the case arises, so if those are the cards we're dealt, we'll play that hand the best we can.
Anyway, our student confirmed that we do not want any genetic testing (and we confirmed that we do want an ultrasound). She measured my fundal height (size of my belly) for baby growth. I'm at 18 cm, which is at the large end of average for 16 weeks. Not out of the norm. Usually the fundal height is about the same as the weeks pregnant, give or take a couple cm. She tried finding the heartbeat, but she was so gentle with the doppler and she was so high on my belly, she couldn't find it for any good length of time. Dr. Curry came in and found it without much effort at all. A strong little heartbeat of 156bpm.
Doc told us he'd send out a referral for an ultrasound today, but we can't schedule it for any sooner than 2 weeks from now (another 2 week wait...) - we have to be between 18 and 22 weeks. The order wasn't in yet when we left, so I'll try calling this afternoon or Monday. We are so excited to get a chance to find out if we are having a baby he or a baby she! I have to keep reminding myself that baby has to cooperate for us to find out. Fingers crossed our little one is proud of it's new parts in a couple weeks! EEK! I'm so excited!
Overall I've been feeling good lately. Lots of heartburn, but I can take it! Brian and I have started shopping for the big essentials that will be gender neutral regardless. We've nailed down a few essentials, and we're narrowing down a few others still. I've cleaned out baby's closet. There are a few bedding essentials on the top shelf, but as for everyday space, it's all cleared out! The changes are starting!
Speaking of changes, this belly is changing! A week or so ago we really started to notice (although I don't know if anyone but us would notice) and this week I'm not seeing the changes so much as feeling them. Occassionally I'll feel pulling or stretching in there. I know this sounds obvious, but it's like a balloon is being blown up in there! I still fit in the majority of my pre-pregnancy clothes (I've now just returned to my pre-pregnancy weight, so I've officially lost a couple pounds and gained back only what I've lost). My maternity clothes are so much more comfortable and lightyears more flattering (my clothes just look like I'm a round blob - maternity clothes show my shape and a bump)! Some of them are still too big (which isn't so flattering), but I feel confident that won't be a problem for too long.
I haven't felt any more movement yet. Both the student and Dr. Curry asked if I'd felt anything, and then both reassured me that some mothers don't feel anything until 20-22 weeks, so it's not out of the norm to have not felt movement yet. Dr. Curry told me how much he loves delivering red-headed babies - we'll see if he gets his wish this time! He confirmed that extra precautions are taken during delivery for redheads, but that it's not a high risk situation, just a situation to be aware of going into it. That made me feel better.
I'm now 16 weeks and 3 days. Baby M is the size of an avacado - about 4.6" from head to rear - and weighs about 3.5oz. The legs are lengthening, as well as the arms, and the body is catching up in size to the head. The movements are becoming more controlled. Fingernails and toenails are growing. The skeletal system is developing and calcium is being deposited into the bones. Little bones in the ears are developing and baby will soon be able to hear my voice. In the next couple of weeks Baby M's weight will double and will add inches to it's height.
No comments:
Post a Comment