3mo holding hands

3mo holding hands

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring 2013

This year is flying by!  Ask me on any given day what month it is and I'll most definitely tell you March - and then I'll freak out that it's already mid-April!  I do this daily.  I guess time really does fly when you are having fun!

One moment before we get to the fun (pics and stories of Jax).  I just have to express how grateful I am that I get to be with Jax all day every day.  After this weeks reminder of the fragility of life and how scary our world is I'm a little over-zealous with my hugs and snuggles on my sweet baby-J (who's hardly a baby anymore).  I feel like while some may not think of what I do every day as a profession, I feel like I'm fulfilling the job I was made to do.  I'm fulfilling what God created me for and while I'm certainly not perfect at it, I'm enjoying it every day.  I love raising Jax and even when it gets tough (which it does - daily) and when my patience is holding on to frayed edges of a fuze I remind myself of the parents who would do anything to hear their child whine once more.  Of the victims of the Boston Marathon blasts who just want to hug their loved ones again.  Of the parents and families in Newtown who just wish for one more day with the things that I find so frustrating at that moment.  Of the parents sitting in hospital rooms praying for their child to have enough life and energy to whine one more day or to throw a tantrum.  I remind myself that while it may be driving me crazy I'd rather be there hearing it and dealing with it than not get the opportunity to hear it or deal with it ever again.  And then with a tear in my eye (both of frustration and just of emotional Mommy) I hug Jax extra tight and tell him that I love him more right then than ever before.  I feel like maybe people get sick of my enthusiasm for parenting and for my son, but I wish everyone got to feel so passionate about their line of work.  I guess this is a bunch of rambling, but I just never want to miss an opportunity to express my appreciation and gratitude for my day to day life.

Ok - mushy stuff is over.

Jax is amazing me every day.  Talking more and more and changing his way of play all the time.  I can't even start to count his words, but some of the newest and most exciting are Scott (sGaw), Austin (Aws), Tara (Ta), Hi or Hi Guys, Bye Bye (die-die), Please (pSSS - which he has only used once or twice when he wanted to ride Grandpa Tom's Gator), Thank you (tan ta - again, rare, but he's said it), woof, Where did it go (er-di-GO?), There it is (der-it-is), Oh, what's that (oh, wazzat!?) and a personal favorite 1-2-3 (un, tuh, weeeeeeee) which he says as he goes down the slide.  There are dozens more (oh, more, yeah, he says that), but these are some of my favorite new ones.

When I executed the toy exchange last night (Every 2 weeks I swap his toys so they all seem new and fun again) I never imagined how differently he'd play with everything.  He's riding the riding toys (that he would only push buttons on before), he's enjoying putting the boxed toys back in the boxes as much as he enjoys taking them out.  He's driving the cars around, over, and on every surface he can find.  The way he plays with these same old toys has changed completely.  I love toy swap day - it's like Christmas morning as he see's toys that he hasn't seen in weeks.  He's also become quite fond of shoes.  My shoes, his shoes, slippers, socks... anything that goes on feet.  He wants to put them on and take the off.  He practices with my slippers a LOT.  He's getting pretty good!

Jax is also getting very lovey.  He gives me kisses (and sometimes gives me many many many at at time) and holds me tight when he hugs me.  He hugs and kisses his stuffed animals and asks me to do the same.  If a new sound startles him he jumps into my arms, but isn't scared, just wants to explore it from the safety of my lap.  He has (finally) started enjoying being read to - rather than just wanting to rip the book out of my hands and run away.  I think we're going to start exploring the library story times around town - now that I think he won't ruin it for all of the kids by stealing the book!

As weather has started to warm up and we are getting the lawn in shape we got out a little Step 2 sport and slide that Jax got for Christmas from Grandma Peg & Grandpa Tim.  He LOVES it!  On cold and rainy days I have to keep all of my blinds closed so he cannot see the back yard because there is NO calming him once he's seen his slide!  It also has a basketball goal, a soccer goal and football field goal (which looks more like a quidditch hoop to me) and the corresponding balls.  He's already mastered the basket ball - he'll slam dunk that one every time.  The other two he hasn't really found his interest in yet.  He can climb up the steps on the back and slide down the slide all by himself saying 1-2 3! (although I have yet to leave his side while doing it - I'm not there yet - and I won't be for a while).

He's also doing well feeding himself with a spoon (although my OCD keeps me spoon feeding him most of the time - just letting him practice when I feel like I can handle the extreme mess that comes along with it). 

After learning of an 18 month development test that involved having them stack 3 blocks I got curious and sat and really focused on blocks with Jax one day - he got 3 stacked up a few times and he was not quite 16 months.  Silly - I know - but I was pretty proud of that. 

We spend 11 days in Salina between my mom's birthday and Easter.  We had a great time: saw the Easter bunny at the mall, visited some real bunnies and chicks and ducklings at Orschelin (Jax loved the bunnies - they were soft and would wiggle their noses on his fingers), had a lot of great play time with Scott and Austin (Jax loves Austin as much as Scott loved Jax at this age - and still does).  When Jax was fussy he just wanted a hug & kiss from Austin.  It was so sweet.  We sure do miss it when we aren't around them!

















 I'm amazed by Jax's dexterity.  This is an Old Navy balloon that he pulled the stick out of the holder, and then put it right back in on the first try  - sounds easy, but I was sure that balloon was going to pop with a poke of the stick.  I think he may be a surgeon ;)


 Going in for a kiss!  (Tara's camera is giving Austin kind of a devilish halo)
 Baby chicks!  Peep Peep!
 Baby ducklings!  Quack Quack! (so freaking cute)
 The bunnies were the favorite, though.  So soft.
 Unfortunately there was no way either boy was going near the Easter bunny, so I had to be in the picture, too.  Not great of me, but at least it's good of Jax & Scott!

Either helping or feigning help for a chance to destroy the tower... 
 building on his own.
 ball?  Easter eggs!
 Another play date with Ava

 This one cracks me up - something on Monsters Inc must have been shocking!  Play date with Katie

 Shaggy kid!  Hair cut on Thursday!


Here is a little video of some of his recent fun! (if it doesn't come through the email, click on the title to visit the blog page and watch)
 

Happy Spring everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment