Just as scheduled, and as with every other change in size, Jax moved from 3-6 month clothes to 6-9 month clothes just as he turned 6 months. One month ago I was holding up 9 month jammies saying I couldn't believe that my baby was really that big! Now, I hold them up and they look so small - the thought that he ever fit into newborn clothes just baffles me (and he wore those for 6 weeks).
Jax is thoroughly enjoying his real foods and I'm enjoying making him new combinations - he loves everything I can put mango into (can you blame him?) as well as banana. I haven't found anything he won't eat yet, but when he really loves something he can hardly swallow one bite before he's wide open waiting for the next! He's such a good eater! We have discovered a sensitivity to sweet potatoes, though. On July first we spent an hour and a half in a panic because he was throwing up everything in his body. I expected a little bug. Five days later he had sweet potatoes from that same batch again and that evening was a mirror of the first. Dinner with sweet potatoes at 6:30, throwing up at 8. This time it didn't last as long, but needless to say, he won't be getting sweet potatoes again for a while, and when he does it will be on Doctors recommendation. He's had sweet potatoes many times before, so it could simply be a bad batch, but I'm not putting him through that again without talking to his doctor.
Every day Jax gets more and more interested in the dogs - we let them explore each other little by little and they are quickly becoming the focus of Jax's attention. I feel certain they will be the motivation that gets Jax crawling. He already pivots himself so he can roll in their direction just so he can get close to them.
One of my favorite times of the year is the Smoky Hill River Festival that is always in early June. Jax had his first festival this year and had a blast! We started the weekend with the rest of Salina at the Festival Jam where Jax's Grandpa Tom was drumming with the Last National Band on their "Last Dance" tour! Jax LOVED the music! We didn't know if he would be scared or not - a lot of people and really loud music - but he laughed throughout the entire set and was in great spirits considering how late it was past his bedtime!
While shopping through some of the arts and crafts we paused to put Jax in his Bjorn and heard a song that Aunt Tara & I had had some fun dancing to in our younger days and we were kind of dancing and singing with the boys. Jax was cracking up so we followed the music over to the kids stage and spent a little time watching the Kenya Safari Acrobats - they were awesome! Jax really thought so - the parents standing at the back of the tent all started watching him swing his legs and crack up at the performance! I wish this picture showed how much fun he was having, but he's concentrating on keeping his hands on my clapping hands and is apparently taking it very seriously.
We spent some time with Tara & Scott that weekend and the boys get along so well together. Scott shares and plays with Jax and is very gentle with him! They love to snuggle each other and share toys!
We were supposed to have a little family vacation to the mountains but the day before we were supposed to leave, the whole family came down with a cold. It was Jax's first cold and he took it like a champ. He was cheerful through the whole thing! He had one night waking up really unhappy, but after that night he was just coughing with a stuffy nose, but as happy as ever. We didn't get to go on our vacation, but we are all feeling better. The one progressive thing that came from this time, though, was drinking from a cup! Where we were heading in the mountains is at about 9000 feet above sea level and altitude sickness is common, and the best protection from altitude sickness is hydration, so Jax needed to start getting used to water. I decided to forgo water in a bottle, and teach him to use a cup for it - reserve bottles for milk. He's doing great and likes playing with his cup but also knows that there is a cool drink in there. Sometimes he can get it on his own, other times he needs some help, but he's learning to tip it back to get a drink!
Jax is well on his way to mobile! He is not crawling yet, but he's pivoting and rolling to where he wants to be. He does a funny roll from side to side, slowly inching toward his goal, ultimately getting to the object of his focus. He rolls himself up in blankets and keeps right on going. He's not sitting up on his own yet, but it's not far. He will sit for a handful of seconds before diving for something and the moment is over. He has also had a handful of instances where he falls asleep in the middle of something (see photo below). He's fallen asleep during breakfast - while rolling across the floor (photo) - in the bathtub - I suspect in the pool, but he was with Nana and I didn't catch the whole thing - and, unfortunately, while throwing up (which was another reason I was so scared that night).
Jax is working on mastering his "boy who cried wolf" act. He's got a fake cry at which Brian and I can't help but crack up!
I was a day late with Jax's 7 month pics - but here they are! If you want prints of these made you can get them at snapfish
No comments:
Post a Comment