3mo holding hands

3mo holding hands

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

This post is maybe less baby and more just a shout out to some of the things for which I'm most grateful.

This is one of my favorite weekends of the year... not just Thanksgiving, but the years that all of my Vann family comes together for Thanksgiving.  ... and this year I'm missing it!  Yes, tears have been shed, and more will be shed - but Brian and Dr. Curry and I just agreed that 6 days from Jax's due date was too late to be traveling. {big sigh} :(

But I refuse to let my selfish sadness ruin a day that I should be celebrating all that I have for which to be thankful.  There is not enough time, space, or life left in this old computer to put down everything I'm thankful for, but here are a few things off the top of my head:

Family:  I'm blessed with family whom I can also call friends.  If I hadn't been graced with such amazing family I would have gladly chosen them as my best friends.  I married into a loving family who welcomed me with open arms and make me feel right at home.  I'm so blessed to be so surrounded on all sides with such love.

Brian: I could have lumped him in with family but he deserves his own line.  If anyone had asked me 5 years ago about my future I'd have had two answers - one I thought likely to happen, and one I always wanted to have.  Brian gives me the life I always wanted to have and never thought I would have.  And the dreams we have yet to attain are things he actively pursues along with me.  I'm grateful for every day that I get to spend with him.

Jaxxon:  I know I haven't seen his face - I haven't looked into his eyes - I don't know his voice... but I am so thankful to have had the chance to experience this pregnancy with him.  I'm so thankful for the challenge that awaits me with his arrival.  I'm thankful that God chose me to be his Mama.  I cannot wait to experience the world all over again through his eyes.

Friends:  I have the most amazing friends.  They entertain, support, inspire, teach and encourage me every day.  Whether local or across the country my friends make me want to better myself every day.  I've met a lot of great people over my 30 years, and I've had some great times, but I've only really held onto those that are absolute treasures in my life.  I haven't padded my life with shallow friendships, but with profound relationships - with people who make me a better person.

Blue & Zeppelin:  Yes, they are a challenge all their own, but I'm thankful for them.  They teach me patience and they keep me on my toes at all times.   They have been great practice for children.  They teach me all about love and adoration and forgiveness.  Zeppelin is the traditional dog who can't get enough of me - and on the other hand Blue Belle is never afraid to put me in my place before settling in to allow me to give her a puppy massage.  LOL!

Freedom:  Our nation isn't perfect.  It's got it's flaws - who among us doesn't?  But it allows me the right to make my choices, to be educated, to pursue excellence, to speak my mind, and to change my mind.    And as much as I love traveling abroad it always reminds me of even more reasons to love to be an American.

Home:  Is it my dream house!?  No - but what fun would it be to have your dream house at 30!?  What would there be to work for the rest of our lives!?  But I'm so blessed to have a stable, safe, lovely home to bring my expanding family home to.  A safe place to rest my head at night - and know that it will protect my family.

Health:  I am not often caught bragging about a great body, being a master of emotional stability or an exceptional lifestyle - but I'm healthy.  I live life in an everything-in-moderation state of being and I believe I am a well rounded person for it (no pun intended).  Is there room for improvement!?  Of course, but only just allows me space to continue working on the person I want to be.  I'm healthy, I'm able, I've got options all around me.  I'm thankful for the ability and endurance to be able to accomplish whatever it is I put my mind to.  I've had a wonderful pregnancy - and if anything were to put my health - body, mind & spirit - to the test it is pregnancy!

Technology:  I may not be a great student, but I really do love to learn.  I love to DIY.  I love to test my limits and see what I'm capable of.  Sometimes I get less than spectacular results - sometimes it's a complete failure, but I almost always try again until I achieve some level of success.  Technology gives me the opportunity to learn things that I never would have taken the time to learn otherwise.   I can research quickly and easily and get all kinds of ideas and options within a few seconds.  I don't take everything I read online as gospel, but I do consider it most of the time and use that knowledge to make more educated decisions.  Even if that decision is that whatever I read online was BS!  At least I have a plethora of information!  In addition to that technology has given me safe, reliable transportation, a climate controlled home, entertainment, convenience, and comfort.  I'm thankful to live in the 21st century!

Modern Medicine:  This year especially I'm grateful for modern medicine!  I have every respect for wholistic approaches, etc.  But no one need ask why I'm loving the medical world this year!  Bring on the epidural!

Well, that's what is on my mind tonight - tomorrow a million more things will go through my mind - and I'll be thankful for the ability to share my gratitude.  I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with family, joy, and gratitude.  This year, I'm thankful for all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment