3mo holding hands

3mo holding hands

Friday, March 25, 2011

OMG! Now what!?

HOLY COW!  It's POSITIVE!?  Well, let me just say, these spiffy digital tests are a God-send compared to those one line/two line tests!  "do you see a second line?  I think I do - am I imagining it?  What do you think?  ...I don't know - I don't want to get my hopes up...but it looks like it..."  Well I'll take a "pregnant" or "not pregnant" any day over all of that gray area.  (of course - I'm still going to use the last one line/two line test - just to see what it should/would look like... hell - I'll probably still use the other digital test, too... just for another burst of pure joy seeing it come up "pregnant" in less than 30 seconds!).  I gotta say - I've got some doozie of birthday gifts over my past 30 years, but this is far-and-away the best birthday gift I've ever recieved! 

When we got back from San Diego I figured the indigestion and a bit more acid reflux than usual that I'd been experiencing was because I'd been eating vacation-food (i.e. deliciously-bad-for-me food).  I'd jumped back into my workouts to try to burn off my vacation damage, and was taking baths at night trying to reduce the sore muscles.  I was waking up every morning between 2:30am and 3am - thirsty, sweating, and wide awake.  Hmmm... that's not like me - must be the nightly baths.  So I cut back on those... but I was still waking up.  I'd corrected my diet to more health-consious foods - still had indigestion and acid reflux.  I'd had acid reflux before - not often, and usually after deliciously-bad-for-me meals, but from time to time, - so I didn't think much of that.  But that darned indigestion - that was a first for me.  A big bucket of Tums came home and stayed handy.  That was about it. 

Any other "symptoms" that I noticed were things that happened every month, so I didn't think much of them.  And then my always regular cycle was a day late - eh... it'll be here - whether I want it or not, it always shows.  And then it was 2 days late.. hmmm... I hope I'm not sick - it's never late, and I'd got so used to it showing when I prayed it wouldn't that my hopes were not up for this month.  3 days late... okay - that's it... I can't wait anymore!  I'd told myself I wouldn't test for another day, but I just couldnt' take it - Brian was losing sleep over it... I was losing sleep over it.  I had to test.  Wait 5 minutes!  ...longest 5 minutes ever... And there was that darned ghost line.  Barely even pink... and yet undeniably there... but not enough to count as a positive - not in my head.  I felt sure it was a faulty test, but you know good old Google - she assured me that a line is a line - no matter how light or dark!  So, after more research and some good advice from a seasoned veteran, I said forget the lines - I'm going digital and bought a new box.  It felt like I was wasting money - 1) on something I already had at home, and 2) on something else that I was going to pee on!?! GROSS!  But, if it would give me a clear answer - no gray area - I would do it.  Brian seemed relieved, and we decided there was no way we could wait 2 more days to test again - we were testing again the next morning!  So - like clockwork I woke up hot and thirsty at 3am... and laid there... if there had been a wall clock I'd have been listening to the seconds pass.  I'd barely gotten to sleep when Brian was up and moving around.  I glanced at the clock:  5:45am... ugh.  And finally Brian asked "gotta pee?"  LOL!  Well, that was all it took to get my rear out of bed and into the bathroom.  No more had I set the test down and tossed the packaging than it was done - WHAT!?!  I was preparing myself for the longest 3 minutes of my life and it's done!?  It hasn't even been 30 seconds!!  And then I see it.  That beautiful word:  "pregnant".


Ummm.... ummm.... Oh!  The onesie!  Months before - before we even started trying - I'd bought a Led Zeppelin Onesie to give to Brian the day we found out I was pregnant.  So I nonchalantly left the bathroom and went into the closet to get the onesie that had been hidden for months.  I walked into the bedroom and turned on the lamp - clutching the onesie and the test - and  saw Brian laying with his hands over his face.  I told him it would all be ok - and when he took his hands away from his eyes, I held up the onesie and asked if it would work for a boy or a girl (you know... if we bow or flowered it up somehow).  LOL!  We both burst into tears - happy happy tears of joy.  I don't think we'd both cried together like that since our wedding day.  I told him that if that onesie wasn't girly enough for a girl I had another one and pulled out the Maddona Who's That Girl World Tour onesie I'd purchased just before Tara found out that she was having a boy.  If she'd had a girl it would have been hers, but now, we'll just have to see what Baby Michaelsen is going to be! 

What a fantastic morning.  Of course, I was pretty useless at work.  I had a really hard time focusing on anything - baby or propane or anything else for that matter!  Every time I'd get even a minute of focus I'd think "Oh my God!  I'm going to have a baby!"

We decided what weekends to tell our families, and then started planning our methods to tell friends and extended families.  Oy!  I just want to shout it from the roof-tops - right now!  But... I'll wait.  I can be patient - I've waited this long for this miracle moment.  I can wait a bit longer to share it with everyone else. 

We're still in shock - naturally.  And our first baby appointment isn't for another month... ugh - that's a long wait.  We'll tell Brian's family the weekend before our first appointment, and my family the weekend after.   But in the mean time we couldn't be happier.  We've put in our time waiting for this - and we can't wait to experience every moment! 

...I guess most of those clothes I bought with my birthday cash are going back - they probably won't fit in a few months!

PS - we are currently at 4 weeks.  Tiny Baby Michaelsen is the size of a poppy seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment