3mo holding hands

3mo holding hands

Monday, August 15, 2011

107 days (give or take)

Wow - that sounds like a crazy short amount of time!  And yet - it feels so far away.

It's been a bazaar couple of weeks around here.  Lots of heartache.  Last Tuesday we lost a very dear friend.  A man who stood up with us at our wedding.  A man who can't possibly be replaced.  It reminds us how fragile life is.  It reminds me of the intense amount of heartache that I won't be able to stop throughout the rest of my life - simply because I will be a mother.  Even if this little guy has only the best of a long healthy life, there will be heartache as his mother.  I hope I'm strong enough for it all.  I'm blessed to have an amazing man by my side to share life with and to hold me and comfort me when life seems to crumble a bit.  I hope I'm able to comfort him as much as he does me.

We saw the doctor on Friday.  Baby M is doing well.  Good strong heartbeat.  He's kicking and punching me all over the place.  Rather than get too annoyed with it I choose to see it as reassurance that he's growing and getting stronger every day.  He has great aim for my bladder & other organs!  My belly is measuring a couple of centimeters bigger than average, but doctor said that is okay - it takes a couple of visits with larger than average measurements to bring up any red flags.  The last appointment I was right on track, so it could have been that growth spurt I felt last week that caused the extra centimeters.  Before my next visit I'll have my glucose test to check for gestational diabetes, and to check my blood again for the RhoGAM shot.   Per the first blood tests I will require the shot - they are just double checking before they administer it.

We've made some progress on the nursery.  Last Monday night we moved everything out and painted.  It looks very fresh in there - I'm eager to start setting it all up!  As I mentioned a few weeks ago we got our dresser already, and I bought a curtain.  Our rocker has been purchased for a while now, but it will be delivered this weekend.  We were hoping to have the queen sized bed out of that room by now, but we are still looking for a place to store it for a while.  Before Saturday it will be taking up our only remaining guest room.  Hopefully we can find a safe home for it for the next couple years soon!  We'll order the crib in the next month or so, and finally the room will start coming together.  I had an image of a mobile in my head - and it's inspiration was an unbelievably ridiculous price ($400 for a non-motorized, non-musical mobile anyone!?  No thank you).  So, I decided to recreate my own.  I think it's finally done, and I can't wait to decide where to hang it in the nursery.  I can't decide if it would be better over the crib, or over the changing table/dresser.  I'll just have to see the room put together before I can make that decision.  For now it's hanging in the closet! 

Right now I'm 24 weeks.  Baby is about 14" long and weighs about 2 lbs.  Of course every different site gives a different size & weight, but since I'm measuring large, I'm going with the largest estimate I find!  His lungs are now secreting surfactant, which is a surface-activated fat that helps his little lungs inflate with air when he's born.  He's practicing breathing now.  His ears are finished forming and moving to their correct location on his head (and if he has any Pestinger in him, they are already sticking out - just like Funkle Dustin's! ;)  love you Funk!).  His fingernails are finished developing, and his testicles are decending. 


No comments:

Post a Comment